Sunday 18 January 2015

Band Themed Short Story Project Week Two

The Beatles with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi
I admit I've found this week more difficult! I have managed to write seven stories, but two are unfinished and I may have to finish those off tomorrow.

Monday's band was The Beatles. Their history is so well documented and well known, that I found it very difficult to come up with an original story. I chose to write around the song title, Dear Prudence. The band was chosen by Diana Forrester, a fellow writer from the US. She was kind enough to give me feedback and said that she loved the viewpoint character I'd chosen (Cynthia Lennon), but it was an emotional story and the emotion didn't come through. Oh dear. Something I need to work on before submitting that story, then. I must admit, I was feeling a little emotionally drained by Monday!

Tuesday's band was Nirvana nominated by fellow writer, Cally Taylor. I found this very easy to write. It ended up as a piece of Flash Fiction of around 450 words. Cally hasn't got back to me on this yet, which is worrying, but my writing buddy loved it.
Nirvana


I really enjoyed writing The Big Country story on Wednesday. I still haven't finished that one, as I need to spend more time developing the characters and injecting a good dollop of emotion. My Facebook friend, Tracy Routledge nominated this band, as her partner is a big fan. I haven't actually written about the band, but have used a lot of their song lyrics and album titles throughout.
Big Country
I didn't know much about Big Country, but their story is both fascinating and tragic. I think they're still touring, as when I took my son to the Hertfordshire University Open Day a couple of years ago, their gig at The Forum was being advertised. I know one or two people who've seen them live and have said how good they are.

The Flight of the Conchords
Thursday's band was The Flight Of The Conchords. I'd never heard of them! This band was nominated by Lynne Cobine. I found it difficult to find out what this band were really all about. I guess the closest comparison is that they're the New Zealand equivalent of The Barron Knights (remember them?). I wrote a story about them sacking their manager, cribbed from a You Tube clip of the comedy duo in a sketch they did for TV. I haven't got round to sending it to Lynne yet. 

The Red Hot Chili Peppers
I enjoyed writing a story about Flea of The Red Hot Chili Peppers on Friday, as I'm a big fan of the band. I chose some prompts from one of my favourite songs of theirs, Zephyr Song. I was quite pleased with the story, which I finished yesterday. This band was nominated by Julie Louise Phillips and I hope to send her the story this evening. I always worry about what the reader's reaction is going to be, but it's usually positive.



Yesterday's story was based on the Eighties band, Gay Bykers On Acid. Again, I'd never heard of them. I chose to write this story during the Write Invite live competition in the space of half an hour. It was tough. I also had to use one of the three Write Invite prompts. I chose 'Flying High'. The story is probably one of the most bonkers stories I've ever written. I'm not proud! Charlie Charlfont nominated this psychedelic rock band from Leicester.

Thin Lizzy
Last band of the week was Thin Lizzy nominated by Bee Rawlinson. I wanted to write an historical story set in Dublin in the 1930s. I haven't finished it yet, but my writing buddy really likes what I've written so far and says it's probably going to be her favourite of the seven bands of Week 2.

I admit this project is testing my stamina, but writing a new story each day is very good discipline. It's wonderful to have large stock of new stories to draw from when I come to enter competitions and I've already submitted two to the womags. Wish me luck for Week 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment